Enter Your Email To Receive Our Awesome Newsletter
and stand a chance to win great prizes!

The Edison George Town, Penang 2  

Comments

The Edison George Town, Penang
CONTRIBUTOR
1 review
8
13 March 2020
Located on Lebuh Leith, and named after Sir George Alexander William Leith, the first Lieutenant-Governor of the Prince of Wales Island. It is one of the island's earliest streets and an affluent enclave where wealthy Hakka tycoons made their home. The building was commissioned and built in 1906 as a residence for a tycoon named Yeo Wee Gark. It was designed by David Nathaniel, a popular architect at the time, and was only transformed into a hotel after the Second World War. During the Japanese Occupation of Penang, the building was used as their administrative centre. The building was designed with many of the opulence associated with the wealthy, for instance generous open space planning and the extensive use of timber, metal, tile and glass. In the mid-1940s, the owner converted the building into a hotel. Thereafter several architectural and interior enhancements were made in the 1960s to better the hotel's offerings. It wasn't till late 2014 that a comprehensive transformation of this beautiful Colonial mansion - planning, design, restoration, renovation and it’s rebranding as The Edison George Town, Penang began and was rebirth mid-July 2016.
1  
0  
1  

Replies

x
x